Home Medicare How Does Medicare Cover Telehealth Services?

How Does Medicare Cover Telehealth Services?

Telehealth services have become more common with the rise of communication technologies and the COVID-19 pandemic. These services add another layer of convenience to healthcare. Medicare offers coverage for these services, but only under certain circumstances.

What Are Telehealth Services?

Telehealth services are consultations with your doctor or healthcare provider via phone or computer. These may be a combination of audio and video or just audio.

Types of telehealth services include:

  • Psychotherapy
  • Office visits
  • Consultations

Is It Safe To Get Telehealth Services?

Since these services take place through technological means, there is an element of caution you need to exercise before going forward in a consultation. If you’re having a telehealth appointment with your doctor or a healthcare practitioner you’ve seen before, you shouldn’t have any worries. 

However, if it’s with someone you’ve never seen, you should be wary of a possible fraud attempt. Indicators of fraud include an individual who promises benefits that seem (and are) too good to be true, such as getting medications for free. Con artists lure unsuspecting victims in to gather personal information and bill Medicare for services that never occurred. If you suspect that someone is committing Medicare fraud via telehealth, call 1-800-MEDICARE.

How Much Will My Telehealth Services Cost?

You will generally pay the same amount for telehealth services if you have gotten the same service at an office or clinic.

Costs can vary depending on such factors as:

  • Whether your doctor accepts Medicare
  • How much your doctor charges
  • The service received
  • Type of provider
  • Your other insurance

What Part Of Medicare Covers Telehealth Services?

Medicare Part B covers telehealth services because they’re considered a form of outpatient medical care. After you meet the Part B deductible ($226 in 2023), Medicare will cover 80% of the costs, leaving you to pay 20%. However, if you have a Medigap plan, it will cover the remaining costs up to a certain amount, which will leave you with even less to pay out-of-pocket.

Where Can I Get Telehealth Services?

You can get telehealth services in any location in the U.S. up until December 31, 2024. Starting January 1, 2025, you’ll have to get most telehealth services from a healthcare facility or office in a rural area.

However, some services will always be accessible from any location. That includes:

  • Substance abuse counseling
  • Acute stroke diagnosis, treatment, and evaluation
  • Monthly End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) home dialysis visits

Get Coverage For Your Telehealth Services Now

KBI Solutions provides Medicare policies that give you great coverage on your telehealth appointments. We give you the opportunity to obtain a low-cost, hassle-free policy with vast coverage from the comfort of your own home. Call us today at (254) 918-5444.